Thursday, September 11, 2008

On The Needles: week of 9.10.08

New weekly feature: On The Needles. I started writing this one yesterday, so I'll make it a Wednesday thing from now on. On The Needles covers some of what's going on in the knitting universe, both from my own studio and elsewhere in the world.

Fiber Of The Week
This week most of my knitting time has been spent with Dalegarn Baby Ull. It's really a pleasure to work with - soft, versatile, and so fine. I like small stitches. It works well on a range of needles, from 2 - 2.75mm. For me, 2.75 produces a light, soft, and somewhat drapey fabric that is perfect for light garments like tanks or dresses. 2mm produces a tight, firm fabric that's great for bags, cases, and anything else that you want to be really sturdy and hole-free. Everything in between, you can figure out. I have yet to try felting it, but I'm sure I will soon, and would love to hear from anyone who's already tried it.


Shiny New Toys
I got an iPhone 3G Tuesday night, and I wanted to make a spectacularly unique knitted case for it. After spending hours yesterday charting a fair isle version of an old French wallpaper design, I completely changed my mind and decided to go with these intarsia squares for my new iPhone case instead. I like them. They're simple-looking, annoying to knit, and they make you want to tear your hair out. Every 8 rows I have to stop, cut everything, weave in all the rows, and start all over again. But they're cute and bright, and I like them. This is the front cover so far. The back, sides and inside will be in a solid camel color. I'm thinking of chocolate brown overstitching on the outside. Anyway, at this point I think I have about 4 more rows of blocks to go for the front. It's only 24 stitches across which, despite the amount of work involved, still makes it a quick and pleasant knit. Those are 2mm needles there, by the way. The case will open book-style and include a hole for the headphones and speakers. I'm undecided yet as to whether I want to leave an opening for the screen, so you can use the phone in its case.

Design to Watch For
I was inspired yesterday (by both an exquisite Estonian lace shawl and a less attractive knit cable-and-lace kimono) to create delicate and sheer lacy kimono top out of that Kid-Silk that's still begging to be knit. I've made some sketches and have a pretty good idea of how I want it to go. I will probably have to buy an extra ball or two, which means I'll be heading to Leiden this weekend to seek out my lost yarn shop, aided by the GPS on my new toy. This thing is going to be awesome, I think, and best yet it will fit me both now and in the spring when I've reached my Weight Watchers goal. Baby weight sucks, but this kimono will look fabulous for years to come, no matter my shape or size (no, it will not be one of those plus-size tent creations). Now, the real dilemma - modular knit, or straight lace?


KNITTING NEWS FROM OUTSIDE MY STUDIO

Great Free Patterns, People!
Knitty has a fastastic fall issue this year. I'm just plain in love with some of those designs. The 8 zillion sock patterns I can do without - but still, it's a wonderful issue. Hooray for Knitty!

God Save The Queen ...
... because in one month I'm headed to London for the Knitting and Stitching Show! I need to check into getting a stall there in a year or two (how long would it take me to build up a decent inventory, I wonder?). This year, though, I'm just a spectator. The trip is a late birthday present from my mum, who lives a little way outside of London. Can't wait! I'll be blogging from there that weekend for sure. If I really get cracking, I could have the new kimono done by then to wear ...

No comments: