Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's enough to make you want to crochet again.

Move over, granny squares - the folks at Mypicot have the most amazing and beautiful crochet patterns I've ever seen. I have a longstanding hatred (or at least dislike) of crochet - in my very strong opinion, it's for people who think variegated Red Heart yarn is the best thing since sliced Wonder Bread and/or are too lazy to learn the subtleties and delicacies of knitting. I'm a yarn snob, and more importantly I'm a craft snob, and I am simply too good for crochet. But this changes everything.


I had stumbled on - or perhaps tripped over - the above Lion Brand afghan made up of dozens of crocheted flower motifs that I was mildly interested in cloning, and decided to look around for some interesting (read: better) crochet motifs to do an afghan out of for my four year-old. My mother crocheted me an afghan when I was a kid and I thought it was the most special and beautiful thing in the world. It was a giant granny square in zillions of different colours, and I loved it (and still would, mom, if I had it). Anyway, I found Mypicot through Crochet Pattern Central through Google, and was absolutely breathless browsing through their patterns (the edgings especially!).


Now I know what I want to do with that plum-colored Kid-Silk I've got stashed away, and more importantly, I have the perfect butterfly garden throw in mind for my sneaky little blanket thief. She's going to love this. I get rid of all those odd balls of extra yarn, and she gets a beautiful blankie to cuddle up on the couch with. I think we can even expect some metallic dragonflies to make an appearance.

1 comment:

Nonni said...

Wonder what ever happened to it?